[TN-Bird] Red-nk. Grebe bonanza continues

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:21:02 -0400

Boone Lake, Sullivan Co. portion

Red-necked Grebe -  144
On previous visits they were scattered in small flocks all over
the lake, but, today they had coalesced into 2 large flocks on
the South Holston River arm of the lake. None were near the dam.
This is the largest number of them that I have ever seen anywhere,
including Alaska where they are a common breeding bird.

Little else was on the lake.  Not a single duck or loon.
Only a handfull of Pied-billed & Horned Grebes.

Bonaparte's Gull - 10  - first I have seen there this year.
Ring-billed Gull - 300  - reduced from 1200 two weeks ago.
Herring Gull - 1

Tree Swallow - 250+
Barn Swallow - 1  - my first of the year.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN