[TN-Bird] Warblers and More

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 13:00:07 -0500

We made our first trip of the spring down Holmes Creek Road which is about two
miles from our house.  Our first warbler of the season was a beautiful male
Black-and-white in full breeding color, followed quickly by a Yellow-rumped.
Three Blue-gray Gnatcatchers were in the same area and just a bit further down
the road we found a Yellow-throated Warbler.  Hermit Thrushes were found in
several places with a couple of them on the roadway.  A female Summer Tanager
picking at the blossoms in the top of a tree with the sunlight on her made us
smile.  Virginia heard several Hooded Warblers but we could not spot even one;
they will soon be plentiful, along with the Worm-eating, at their nest site
near a bluff that keeps water flowing all summer.

The mature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird that appeared about 6:30 Monday
evening is still with us although we did not see him all day Tuesday until he
came to the same feeder at the same time in the evening and ate from the same
feeder port.  He did come early today and in three visits drank more than 30
times.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County