[TN-Bird] Wapanocca NWR to Ensley Bottoms

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:44:48 EDT

April 29, 2005
Wapanocca NWR - Crittenden Co, AR
Ensley Bottoms - Shelby Co. TN

Mike Todd and I,  joined Paul Lehman from New Jersey, as he makes a  round
robin trip through MO-KY-TN-MS-AR-LA-OK, etc to work on his state lists.  Even
with all the bad weather we managed 137 species today.

The ducks which were thick at Ensley just the other day had pulled out and
headed north and we only managed 5 waterfowl species on the day. The Mottled
could not be found and all the many Shoveler and Gadwall had also flown the
coop. A Common Loon at Robco Lake was an unexpected find as was a
Yellow-crowned
 Night-Heron standing in the median on I-55.

We visited the Pits at Ensley, twice today and found nearly 5,000 Wind  Birds
to pick through. This afternoon, at the pits, we watch in amazement when  an
American Bittern caught and after much wetting in the water, swallow a Common
Grackle!!!

Egrets and herons were is short supply but we found both Sharp-shinned and
Cooper's Hawks along with a single Harrier and watched a Peregrine Falcon
feasting on its catch in a field. We also had 5 Sora Rails. The 19 species of
shorebirds and the great numbers were highlighted by a single American
Golden-Plover, Western, Semipalmated, Baird's and White-rumped Sandpipers plus
Dunlin,Stilt, Long-billed Dowitchers, Wilson's Snipe and 2 gorgeous female
Wilson's
Phalarope in full breeding plumage.

The warbler total for the day and they were really scattered was 19,
including Blue-winged, Golden-winged, Blackburnian, Bay-breasted,
Chestnut-sided,
both Waterthrush, and Chat. Only 9 species of sparrows could be  coaxed out of
the weeds and into the rain and wind, Grasshopper and Lincoln's  made the list

A pair of male Painted Buntings were trading songs at Ensley while
Dickcissels and Bobolink, scisseled and dinked. Another surprise was a trio of
Pine
Siskins feeding with a large flock of Goldfinches along the side of a  road.

I pretty full day and we now are off to AR for 2 days with Kenny and  LaDonna
Nichols to punch out a few more birds on Paul Lehman's want  list.
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN