[TN-Bird] Virginia Rail

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "sefc" <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:57:54 -0400

Jacob Job, accomplished birder, spent several hours chasing Virginia Rails
around the north end of the marsh, hoping for a glimse so he could add it to
his list,- no luck.  We all know the feeling.

July 4th, eight birders, including Jacob, happened to meet at the marsh.
Hearing Jacob's sad tale we began walking down the road toward a Virginia nest,
where we thought we could flush up the incubating adult.  No need.  As we
approached the area a Virginia Rail walked across the road 40 feet in front of
us, turned around and walked back, stopped, posed, both sides and front and
back, for about two minutes.  It appeared to be a full-sized juvenile, white on
breast.  Bob Edens has photos, bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx

The nest, by the way, had 5 eggs June 26, 7 eggs June 28 thru July 1
(incubating adult July 1), and 8 eggs and incubating adult July 6.  There seem
to be quite a few young around the area, judging by alarm notes.

There was a Great Egret at the pond and later flying overhead.  It seems to
stay in the area for the last week or so.

Jacob had seen two Willow Flycatchers earlier that morning.  He lives near the
marsh, and area birders should get to know him at the first opportunity.

Nelson Bennett, Bob Edens, Danny Gaddy, Jacob Job, David and Gloria Patterson,
Roger Patterson.

Standifer Gap Marsh,
Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN
July 7, 2005