[TN-Bird] Vesper Sparrow (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:13:56 -0500

March 25, 2005

Greene County

At about 6:30 this evening, I found two Vesper Sparrows in a farmyard in
the Tusculum area.

Almost all of my records of this transient species in Greene County in
spring have fallen in the last ten days of March or the first week of
April, so these birds are right in line with past observations.
However, even though Vespers are somewhat predictable, they certainly
aren't easy to find in Greene County.  Some years I've found only one
bird, or even none, and sometimes I've observed them in spring but not
in fall, or vice versa.  I consider the species to be one of the easiest
transients to miss, even for a birder who spends a lot of time looking
for (and listening to) sparrows.

On one occasion, I've found Vespers in winter, suggesting that perhaps
they at times remain in the county as winter residents rather than
travelling farther south.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN