[TN-Bird] Upper Douglas Lake

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 10:00:25 -0500

 Late yesterday, we surveyed Douglas Lake from Taylor's Bend (just
downstreamfrom Dutch Bottoms) to Swann's Bridge (the I-40 crossing), an area
over 5 miles in length, and 1/2 to 1 mile wide (all in Jefferson County).
Lake elevation is just over 952 - about as low as it gets, resulting in
extensive shallows and mudflats along this stretch.  Good observation points
are few - most of the lakeshore is privately owned and without nearby public
roads.  The TWRA boat launch off  Hwy 113 is set back from the lake and
lacksenough water to launch a canoe.  We scoped the area from "Lighthouse
Point" at Baneberry, and canoed about 1 mile upstream from Swann's Bridge.
Many of the birds we saw, especially waterfowl, were too far away to
identifyconclusively.   Most notable:
American Black Duck ( 2) Northern Shoveler (6) Ruddy Duck (7) Double-crested
Cormorant (8) Great Blue Heron (200+) Great Egret (52) Bald Eagle Killdeer
(12) Least Sandpiper (11) Herring Gull Bonaparte's Gull Ring-billed Gull
(100+) Red-headed Woodpecker (1 adult, 1 immature at Lighthouse Point)
Michael Sledjeski &Leslie Gibbens Cocke County