[TN-Bird] Unusual mockingbird quarrel? / R-S Hawk with snake

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 15:36:42 -0700 (PDT)

This morning I watched two mockingbirds for about 2-3 minutes (and they were
still at it when I walked away) engaging in what looked like a hockey fight.
Both birds would circle each other on the ground for 30 seconds or so, and then
one would attack. They would scuffle around for maybe 5 seconds and then go
back to circling. This was repeated several times. I've never seen anything
like it before. Does anyone know if this is a particular behavior that has a
specific purpose? Or were these just two especially stubborn birds in a
territorial dispute?

Also saw a Red-shouldered Hawk flying low over Clark Blvd. with a snake of
about 18 inches in its talons. (Couldn't identify the snake, but the hawk was
coming out of the pond area at Loveless Photography, which is a notorious haven
for water snakes.) Nothing unusual (although R-S Hawks are not common in
Rutherford County), but very cool to see!

Daniel