[TN-Bird] Tva Lake TN- Tunica Co. MS

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:07:11 EST

Jan. 16, 2005
TVA Lake
Shelby Co. TN
Tunica Co. MS

In Tunica Co, I started out by lucking up on the hunting Rough-legged  Hawk
just before it circled high and headed off in the same direction to the
southeast as on Saturday and it kept going out of sight. I had great close ups
on
Saturday in the scope and all field marks and eye color still says this bird
is an adult female. Females do not normally come this far south and can be
difficult to tell apart from the immature males which show medium brown  eyes.

The wind on Saturday had been brisk and chilling but Sunday it was cutting
and brutal. The gull scanning was much harder because of HEAT waves but I was
able to locate both immature Lesser Black-backed Gulls and the first year
Thayer's. The 2nd winter Thayer's and California Gulls I'm sure are still in
the
mix but it is a big area and tons of birds to look through.

I spent a lot of time sitting in the truck scopeing the Laps and Horned
Larks at 3 locations, but could not dig out anything of interest. The  Lapland
males were stunning as they wear into their breeding uniforms.

Gene and Shannon Knight were looking for the California Gull and finally
gave up and we parted only to have Gene call shortly and say that they had a
Red-necked Grebe down off Fish Lake Road. I finally made it down but could  not
find the bird at first and I was just overlooking it as it was hugging  the
shoreline. Gene took some great photos of the unexpected immature  visitor
which
I'm sure will be posted.

At last light, I made it back by TVA Lake and in close, sleeping with a
group of Greater Scaup, was the Surf Scoter. There were very few scaup on the
lake at that time but they started falling in shortly and the 50 plus
Ring-billed Gulls left to go to roost.
Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA