[TN-Bird] A Thank You Note

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 07:37:42 EST

Fellow Tn-Birders
I wanted to thank you guys for helping to make our weeklong stay in Pigeon
Forge such a great outing.  Martha and I met many of you for the first  time.
We also met dozens of old birding friends for the first time in many  years.
A special thanks for assisting us in locating a few winter hummers  as we
filled in for Chris Sloan who is away.

One of Tennessee expert birders ventured into north Georgia a day ahead of
us and indentified a Rufous at a local feeder in that area.   Unfortunately the
hummer host got the impression from that birder that these  wintering birds
OFTEN leave after being banded.  That is false of  course.  The host decided
that since he knew "all about us now,  thanks to the visitor", he would not
allow us to come to document his  hummingbird.  The host was less than
friendly!
He was not told by the  birder whether or not the hummer was already banded,
and if so,  anything about the natural history of his rare bird.  I hate it,
because  this is the time of year that we get most of our foreign encounters
with  these previously banded birds.  Someone else, maybe with the best of
intentions, shot us in the foot in north Georgia.

Take care guys and enjoy the day.  Thanks to all of you for  supporting our
work with hummingbirds in Tennessee.

Bob Sargent, Life Member of TOS
Trussville,  Alabama