[TN-Bird] Tonight's migrants

  • From: Viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:39:41 -0400 (EDT)

When I arrived home from the office around 7:00 pm, my hummingbird  feeders
over the patio were mobbed with hummers.  Three of the six  feeders were
empty.  After refilling, I sat outside with them and counted  as many as two
dozen hummers at a time, before I would lose track due to  shifting movement.
 They arrived in swarms (and sounded  like swarms), the last stragglers
leaving with the last of the  light.

The bigger surprise was the female American Redstart that tried to land on
one of the large feeders three times.  I'm not the greatest with fall
warblers, but is any other warbler gray, flashing yellow bands on a  fanned
tail?  Lovely surprise.

Anyone know what she may have hoped to find at the  feeder?

Vickie Henderson
Knoxville, TN
South Knox County