[TN-Bird] The Lament of the Swan of Cove Lake- Today's species present

  • From: James M Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:20:23 -0500

Cove Lake State Park, Campbell County, TN
Resuming birding reports from this location...

The obituary of Mr. Mute Swan - alias:  aggravation, bully, mean thing,
jerk, the preeminant one, terrorist,   pain ...... and other names I will
not mention...

Resident of Cove Lake,   11-12-01 through    3- 05                  LONG

    Yes. It is true. The tyrant of Cove Lake is deceased. I could barely
believe the field trip report I read on TN BIRDS by Harold Howell of
Knoxville TOS, when I returned home from KY on Sunday night.  Charlie
said he was out of town, and not to blame.  So was I. But how about the
16 members of the club that were on the field trip? Was everyone
accounted for at all times? Anyone take a "side trip" alone through the
back trail to the island?   (Ok guys, I am joking)
     Truly, if  any other waterfowl were to grace "Mr. Mute Swan's"  lake
from within hundreds of feet,  his radar immediately came into play.
Swim, fly or just drop on them, whichever tactic he used, he was
extremely skillful the last three years of depleting wonderful days of
desirable waterfowl birding by me, and everyone else. Single ducks, even
Mallards, were not spared. Certainly, pairs were not welcome at all, and
I think he had a personal vendetta against them since he had no mate.
Rafts of visitors did not even have a chance to rest, as he barged into
the middle of them like a steamroller, hissing and scattering them
everywhere. He was fearless, even having an encounter once with an Eagle.
 An extremely entertaining tactic to watch, was as he would fly low
across the water towards a group of unwelcome guests,  dropping 8-10 feet
in front of them, while slamming his big feet on the top of the water.
This created quite an impressive  display of power through water spraying
feet in the air, as well as an intriguing sound. At times, I believe he
could swim 15 mph as he set his sights on a victim and without veering an
inch, honed in and bore down on them like a  missle until they would give
in and fly in the face of his fury of hissing and pecking.  No one was
safe from his wrath. You had to admire his tenacity.
    After reading the report Sunday night, I admit I copped an "Oh me, of
little faith" attitude of unbelief. Certainly, this could not be true. It
was probably only one of the "large" white geese that were about,  they
had seen. Could I dare hope? Mr. Mute Swan could not perish. Not the
unsinkable, shrewd, controlling  personality that thought he would always
have the preeminence on Cove Lake? I had to see this for myself.  I MUST
ADMIT, as I read the report Sunday night,  I had a strange sense of
sorrow and real remorse I never expected  I would have, when I found out
the "wicked" swan was missing or dead. I  imagined that, surely, he is
just "lurking" behind the campground where he had been lately. The group
probably did not know all his hiding places, and had mistaken the
identity.   I had been gleeful and hopeful several times this winter as
he would disappear, only to turn up again. Later Sunday night, as I began
to meditate on the report, I concluded  that certainly 16 skilled birders
from Knoxville TOS with great scopes, probably were sure of his identity
and it was true, even though it was a distant sighting.
     Well, it's true. Tuesday morning,  I traipsed over to the lake, and
immediately upon exiting the jeep, knew without a doubt they were right.
I knew it before I even found the  carcass. Why? Because there were DUCKS
on the lake. I mean, real ducks! Like - 9 species of ducks! All all
looked rather calm and happy. Something in the atmosphere  at Cove Lake
had shifted. There was peace. Several Redheads were  preening and
resting their heads on their back. Gadwall, Blue Winged Teal,
Green-Winged Teal,  Ring-Necked as well as a couple Scaup thrown in.
Hooded Mergansers- Male and Females were participating in mating ritual
along the banks. The Mallards even had a smile on their bills.
Humm..Looking  like Cove Lake from 3 years ago at this time of year. The
only things that looked nervous were the Coot near the back corner, as an
Adult Bald Eagle was sitting over the area in the top of a Sycamore tree.
 I suddenly felt a slight passion  for my "birding at Cove Lake"
returning.
Then, I even saw 12 Wood Ducks. Big Deal? Yes. None the past 3 winters,
and few in Spring/ Summer the past 3 years, despite excellent habitat.
(The 3 year thing is the time of "occupancy of Mr. Mute". ) My, how fast
the word got out. The only sad looking ducks were the domestic "white
variety" that the Mute Swan felt some kindred with and fellowshipped
with.
  Then why was I sad?! Well, when I finally located the carcass across
the lake, I felt sad as I always do when any creation of God dies.  I
then remembered how much excitement he had brought the first day I saw
him, 11-15-01, far across the lake lurking along the woods edge near
where he was now laying still. I remembered the rush of knowing this was
a "swan" species and a first for me at Cove Lake, and went to get the
scope to see what "species" it would be, hoping for something different.
For weeks, he acted completely wild, never coming to the  "inhabitated
trail side"  of the lake. Slowly as days and weeks went on, he did come
some closer to the "inhabited" side of the lake  but I counted him as a
"wild" bird and listed him on my Tennessee list because I felt sure he
was "wild" upon arrival.  I then began to reminisce on the cold, dark
rainy or cloudy days when I would visit the lake the past 2 years, and he
would bring great entertainment as he  lurked, stalked and beat the snot
out of everything around.  I remembered resigning myself that I might as
well enjoy him, as there was nothing else to look at but the Mallards or
Geese he was beating  up on. Then, he became an object of practicing my
photography skills. Might as well " use him" for something.  A nice image
in the snow, just last month where I worked on my "exposure of white
objects", came to mind.   Guess I did like the big guy, but ironically,
just two weeks ago, I screamed at him that I was going to kill him, and I
hoped he died, as he just looked at me and proceeded to chase a gorgeous
Redhead entirely off the lake that I was getting ready to photograph
before the insanely territorial fowl,  saw him.  (No, I really did not
murder him, but it was in my heart a few times, thus, as I viewed his
body, I was saddened to remember  that I had ever had such murderous
thoughts towards him )  I recalled to mind an incident in January this
year during a light snow, where a lady was absolutely ecstatic over
seeing a "Swan", as she came off the Interstate to stop briefly at the
park to rest while en route to Fla to her mother's funeral.  Kept saying
over and over she had never seen a one, as she stopped and asked me what
it was, going hurriedly back to her car to get a camera.  She was
absolutely astounded at seeing a "real swan", exclaiming how beautiful he
was  when looking through my scope. She began describing several aspects
of his body I had never noticed.   I decided the old grump was maybe
worth something after all, as he certainly cheered up her day.  Took a
second look myself in the scope which I had not done in a long, long
time,  and decided maybe he was not too horrid after all. The things that
we take for granted, and fail to appreciate because of
familiarity.....Imagine, never seeing a swan?  I had forgotten my first.
He could be beautiful in his own right.
    I thought of all the school kids that thought he was neat. They will
be upset at his passing, and though they were lectured on his unwelcome
bullying and that he was a threat to the calmness of the lake's other
species, they still accepted him. I used him as an offshoot  to point out
and teach about other species.  At least he was large enough they could
"see" him, and bring their attention to other waterfowl. I remembered the
excited little faces as many actually "noticed a bird" for the first time
in their lives.   Many other instances came to mind, and I truly do
lament that he has somehow met his demise. Somewhere along the way, I had
to admit I had grown quite fond of him. Certainly, a reminder that some
things are truly never appreciated for their uniqueness,  until they are
gone.   I'm about to tear up.
     In the last few weeks, so much more damage has been done around the
lake by "people", that Mr. Mute Swan seems now to be so much more
desirable than the effect of "cleaning up" all the underbrush, and
cutting many of the trees around the edge of the lake by several people
brought in from the prison units. Dead trees were to be cut, but somehow,
they got carried away with their work, and several nice, large Oaks were
cut down along the back trail, and also fallen into the lake itself and
left there.. Those of you that visit will see what I mean.(The beavers
are also taking a toll on the trees on the lake edge)  So, I had to ask
myself. What was worse. One lonesome, terrorist Mute Swan that worried
the life out of all the waterfowl the past three winters. Or could it be
the  destruction of nice habitat of underbrush, trees and thickets where
only certain species were found nesting and foraging, or  were safe from
predators  in the winter. I think perhaps it is the latter by well
meaning people "cleaning up" the area.   I lament greatly over the
thickets and vines that are now gone, where for the past 6 years I have
watched Northern  Orioles nest, the largest Trumpetvine I have ever seen
that was all ways full of hummers, and the cherry trees near the back
that always guranteed numbers of migrating Thrushes and Warblers  each
fall. These no longer exist.  Anyhow, enough lamenting.
  The wicked swan is dead. He was one  of God's creations, thus, let's
celebrate a  little thankfulness for his life, beauty  and presence among
us.  Now, lets go birding once again, at Cove Lake State Park, Tennessee!
Perhaps there will be something new to replace him, and hopefully it will
not be another Mute Swan.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN