[TN-Bird] Cove Lake State Park - birdboxes etc.

  • From: James M Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:58:46 -0500

Cove Lake State Park, Campbell County, TN
Bird boxes, request.

    Last Thursday, one of the park rangers and I spent most of the day
removing and relocating bird houses in the park. One of the local
scouting groups had placed 25 houses in various locations in the park
last summer, but nearly all were placed in the wrong habitat for the type
species /  box sizes, etc. We removed all the "Wren houses" from around
the middle pond/ swamp area, and replaced them with correct sized
boxes/specifications  for Tree Swallows. Tree Swallows were seen perched
on 3 of these new ones today.
  We moved several of the Eastern Blue bird boxes away from this area to
avoid as much competition, hopefully, as well as several that were too
close together,  were
relocated.
     The Purple Martin Box, we relocated to Goose Island area just off
the lake edge , instead of it's original placement last summer in front
of Louie's restaurant. The awful "Purple Martin house" located by well
intended people in the middle field that some of you may remember,  was
removed entirely. The specificationsof it's size were a delight only to
starlings the past few years. I am thankful I finally talked someone into
making some changes and removals. Several Chickadee and Titmouse houses
were placed back along the woods edge instead of in the fields. Other
boxes were cleaned out, and still more need repairs I hope to work on in
the next couple weeks. 4 houses were kept aside to put in the swamp in
the next few days for Prothonotary Warblers. If anyone has any extra
boxes they would like to donate that are Warbler size, it would be
greatly appreciated, as they usually end up competing with the Tree
Swallows. Prothonotary numbers last year were half what they were 6 years
ago. There are no boxes at all in the campground area besides one Screech
Owl / Wood Duck size box. If anyone knows a scout troop etc. that would
like to work on merit badges, this would be a great project.
More Bluebird houses and / or Great Crested Flycatcher size boxes as well
as Wood Duck sizes, would also be an asset.
Thanks.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN
jimimoore@xxxxxxxx