[TN-Bird] Re: Thank You, Charles Murray!

  • From: Kevin Breault <Kevin.Breault@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Viclcsw@xxxxxxx" <Viclcsw@xxxxxxx>, "ahofftn@xxxxxxxxx" <ahofftn@xxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 19:38:46 +0000

I would even submit it is more than that--that the obligation among birders is
stronger, the resources considerable, the need more important, and the interest
greater still. Birding follows many other recreational activities and may even
be more financially bifurcated or bimodal than most. The occupational, income
and educational attainment of competitive birders is unusually high (several
standard deviations). There is a reason why birders can travel to Tennessee
from 40+ states and several countries or spend their time birding the ABA Area
or the world in search for birds. On the other hand, those who get their living
from birding related activities, and the institutions that support competitive
birding, including the refuges and other natural areas, are at a significantly
lower financial level. While some of us work to increase the
professionalization of birding, more efforts must be made to professionalize
charitable giving in the sport and to encourage competitive birders to give to
the activity they love. Donations from those who are fortunate to see rare
birds is not just an interesting notion for discusion but an idea that should
be acted upon and institutionalized.

Kevin Breault

Brentwood, TN