[TN-Bird] Tellico Dam, Saturday, June 4

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 15:41:52 -0400

Saturday, June 5, I returned to Tellico Dam in Loudon County in an attempt
to re-locate the blackbird that I saw last Sunday that I reported as a
female Brewer?s.  At the time I didn?t realize how rare such a sighting
would be and though at the time I posted about it I thought the bird looked
just like the photo of the Brewer?s in my Stokes guide, I cannot now say for
certain that it was a Brewer?s.  It probably wasn?t.  In any case, I was not
surprisingly unable to find the bird again.  The trip was not in vain,
however, as I found lots of good birds on a very pleasant morning.

I had barely started walking the paved trail from the parking lot toward the
dam when I observed four kestrels in an open area with several power poles
to the right of the trail.  When first seen, two were on the wires and two
on the cross bar of the telephone pole a couple hundred feet distant  I
assume it was a family group as they all clustered together at times  The
only two that I got good enough close-up looks at to determine the sex were
both females.  At one point a lone kestrel took out after a crow and chased
it away.

There were many, many cliff swallows and a somewhat lesser number of tree
swallows.  Field sparrows were playing ping pong just about everywhere and I
both heard and saw eastern meadowlarks (didn?t remember hearing any last
weekend).

Had fly-bys by an osprey and a belted kingfisher, both heading for the open
water.

Carole Gobert
Knox County, Tennessee