[TN-Bird] Swift Movement II

  • From: "Tom Howe" <blountbirder@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TN-bird'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 17:00:55 -0400

Blount Co.

10/16/2014

I meant to attach the complete checklist of birds at Camp Montvale (which is
not open to the public, by the way)

Montvale Harmony Family Center, Blount, US-TN Oct 16, 2014 8:00 AM - 11:30
AM

Protocol: Traveling

2.0 mile(s)

Comments:     Nestled at the foot of the Chilhowee Mountains, This camp has
open lawns, pastures and an old lake somewhat filled in, all surrounded by
woodland.

34 species

Cooper's Hawk  1

Red-bellied Woodpecker  1

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2

Downy Woodpecker  2

Hairy Woodpecker  2

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  1

Pileated Woodpecker  1

Eastern Wood-Pewee  2

Eastern Phoebe  9

Blue-headed Vireo  1

Philadelphia Vireo  1

Blue Jay  22

American Crow  1

Carolina Chickadee  1

Tufted Titmouse  5

White-breasted Nuthatch  3

Winter Wren  1

Carolina Wren  2

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2

Eastern Bluebird  4

Swainson's Thrush  1

Wood Thrush  3     Saw one with Swainson's on poison ivy or Virginia Creeper
along tree trunk. Two others were heard in the woods doing their excited
whit-whit-whit! calls.

Northern Waterthrush  1     Heard the splink call in the brushy flooded area
that was once a lake, now with much black willow. It came closer with
pishing, but never came into sight. Kept low to the ground

Tennessee Warbler  10

Hooded Warbler  3

American Redstart  1

Magnolia Warbler  1

Bay-breasted Warbler  1

Chestnut-sided Warbler  2

Pine Warbler  2

Chipping Sparrow  1

Scarlet Tanager  1     Had long looks from a field at a winter male sitting
still up in an oak canopy. Green plumage with blackish wings.  I believe i
saw several more, but everything was moving through so fast and disappearing
into the trees that are still leafed out. This one seen by both of us.

Northern Cardinal  3

Rose-breasted Grosbeak  6     These were seen and heard (both the "chink"
and the "wheer" calls) mostly in a mowed area that provided good looks into
the trees. I've hardly gone a day without seeing grosbeaks in the last 2-3
weeks. The heaviest migration of them I've seen around here.

View this checklist online at