[TN-Bird] Surf Scoter & other arrivals; KY Lake 10/31/07

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 11:59:15 -0500

10/31/07
KY Lake areas of Henry & Benton Co (all birds mentioned in Henry Co)
Big Sandy/Pace Point area, Britton Ford, Eagle Creek, Paris Landing

I made my usual circuit at KY Lake yesterday, and was greeted with good
numbers of fresh arrivals since I was there last week. Nothing unusual,
probably the best bird being an immature Surf Scoter off of Rocky Point.
Loons have finally arrived in some numbers, with over 75 seen around the
area (most in the Big Sandy vs. the TN River). Horned Grebes are also in
numbers. I had hoped for returning Western or Red-necked Grebes, but not as
of yet. Last year it was about a week later when both showed up.

The big raft of divers has set up off of Pace Point, with Ruddy, and Lesser
Scaup of course in the majority. Among others were a handful each of Greater
Scaup and Redhead, my FOS for both. The Paris Landing area in contrast had
practically no divers, as did Britton Ford, which had no waterbirds at all.

Other highlights from the day:

American White Pelican: 2 at Pace Point
Great Egret: only 2 seen today, down from dozens my last trip
Osprey: 1 at Paris Landing
Greater Yellowlegs: 2 at Eagle Creek (only shorebirds of day, no flats)
Laughing Gull: same 2nd-cycle bird perched on swimming area markers at Paris
Landing State Park
Lesser Black-backed Gull- 2nd-cycle bird on island at Paris Landing, this
makes at least 4 individuals so far
Common Tern: 1 lingering adult at Eagle Creek among the 200+ Forster's Terns
No Swallows at all
Orange-crowned Warbler: great looks at 2 on Big Sandy refuge (FOS)
Fox Sparrow: FOS

I placed a couple of distant shots of the 2nd-cycle Lesser Black-backed and
the Common Tern in a new gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/winter_20072008

On an unrelated note, if anyone is interested, I have put together a new
gallery of all the birds I've photographed these last few years in the ABA
area. This is just the best photo of each species, in one big gallery. At
present this gallery is a little shy of 500 species.
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/aba_photo_list

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN