[tn-bird] Spring Fling and thanks to Frank Fekel

  • From: "Deborah Hamilton" <Deborah.Hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:28:41 -0500

** Proprietary **

A chance to visit Dunbar Cave State Natural Area in Clarksville, Tennessee, and
to support our state parks is happening this Saturday, May 25th, at the annual
"Spring Fling" beginning at 7:00 a.m. with a bird hike, followed by nature
programs throughout the day including a snake program with herpetologists, a
wildflower hike, a raptor program by Marti Rush, presentations on backyard bird
habitat by TWRA, history of Dunbar Cave, hiking the Appalachian Trail tales,
and ending with canoeing on the lake.  So, come for one or all of the
activities.  I'll be happy to give more details if anyone is interested.

As you might know this park has taken a beating from our legislature so this is
an opportunity to show your support for our state parks as well as having a day
with nature.

My husband, Steve and I were at Radnor Lake on the 21st.  Steve is an avid
birder but not too keen on going somewhere specifically to add a species to our
life list.  If we happen to be somewhere that there are birds we've never seen
before---great, but we don't actually search them out.  The stories from Frank
Fekel, however, induced Steve to want to see these birds.  So thanks Frank for
being such a wonderful story teller and for being so kind in helping us to try
to find the birds when we arrived at Radnor Lake.  They were truly illusive
birds requiring an incredible amount of patience to locate.  We had given up in
finding either warbler and were heading back to the car when I saw a movement
in the bushes not but 10 feet from us.  It was a lovely siting of a mourning
warbler, not a long siting (maybe 45 seconds) but long enough to ooh and aah.
So thinking that might be a strategy, we retraced our steps, sat down at the
"artists bench" for awhile and then walked stealthily back towards the location
of the mourning warbler.  Lo and behold another movement, this one mouse like.
Again, not but a few feet off the trail at the same location---a Connecticut
warbler, sitting in a bush very quietly.  We had a long look at this one.  The
eye ring was vivid and I was surprised at how much it looked like a small
thrush.   On the way out we had a great look at a Canada warbler singing its
heart out.

Thanks again, Frank.   We also enjoyed meeting Phillip and David.  Radnor Lake
State Natural Area is a treasure.

Debbie (a.k.a Linda) Hamilton
Clarksville (Montgomery Co.), Tennessee