[tn-bird] Spotted Towhee- Dyer Co./ Shorebird Habitat

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:09:21 EST

Feb. 17, 2002
Dyer - Lake, and
Lauderdale Co.

Early Sunday I found a male Spotted Towhee just south of Miston. Take the
only road running south out of Miston until it takes a 90 degree turn back
east. Here you will cross a creek. Frank Fekel and I had a Black-billed
Cuckoo at this location last year.

Thousands of Snow, Greater White-fronted, Ross's and Canada Geese are using
the area around Reelfoot with the evening waterfowl displays at Black Bayou a
breath taking sight. Gulls are still grubbing in the fields and young Western
Meadow Larks are trying to develop their best sexy songs.

Later in the day I had 12 Least Sandpipers at Lauderdale Waterfowl Refuge
feeding among the ducks, hundreds of Killdeer and many Common Snipe. They are
draining the refuge as hunting season is over. They do this early every year
which is a shame as it is prime habitat for shorebirds and by just delaying
the draining of one section it would be perfect for viewing from the tower.
Other refuges do this with great success and there are programs to get
farmers to delay drying out rice fields for shorebird habitat. There are
short season crops that can be put in without hurting the waterfowl usage.
Why not take advantage of this spring gift and give the shorebirds a
consistent spring habitat just in case of dry winters and springs which are
unpredictable. It has been proven to be a win-win situation but...........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.