[tn-bird] Big Day Surprises

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 21:07:39 EST

February 16, 2002
Henry, Benton, Obion,
Weakley and Lake Co.

Pace Point to Reelfoot

Since February was the only month left in Tennessee with a Big Day total
under 100 species (it rested at 94) Mark Greene, Mike Todd and I, decided to
push our luck on Saturday. As usual we got some real surprises and not all
good. One bit of mixed luck, good and bad was as we returned to the car at
one place, I noticed something shiny on my tire. It was a nail and when
pulled it phished like crazy. Unfortunately it was not a productive phish
like the one that had just gotten us a Red-breasted Nuthatch. It was lucky in
that I saw it rather than to have had it go flat at 65 racing to Reelfoot.
But under MY supervision Mark and Mike had it off and the other tire on in a
flash.

Another surprise that really hurt, would you believe no matter how hard we
tried we could not find a Yellow-rumped Warbler all day long???? and we had
Pine Warblers every where. We found Purple Finches and Pine Siskins at two
locations but no Brown Creeper. The good surprises were as follows: Ross's
Geese galore at Reelfoot, a total of 22 species of waterfowl, including a
Surf Scoter and all three mergansers, a SORA RAIL at Reelfoot Lake, a GREATER
YELLOWLEGS near Union City, 2 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS at the same time at
Paris Landing, Eurasian Collared-Doves at Union City, Forster's Terns at Pace
Point, and LeConte's Sparrow at Britton Ford.

After running 213 miles in 13 hours and some near misses we totaled 107
species for the day.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA