[tn-bird] Souther Appalachian Endemics

  • From: hoyle <hoyle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:27:09 -0500

To all birder-hikers:

This is from the GSMNP resource management and science weekly newsletter:

SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN ENDEMIC BIRDS -- There are several species of birds
that breed in the higher elevations of Southern "Apps" that differ from the
typical form of the same species to the north. These species are of
increased interest in recent years with the widespread decline of our high
elevation forests due to destruction by European insects and diseases, and
insults by acid deposition and perhaps ozone. Another factor is of
interest: the genetics of the birds themselves.

In a coarse-grained genetic study of Saw-whet owls throughout their
extensive range ? from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast in Canada
and southward into our mountains ? the population with the most genetic
diversity was in the Southern Apps. This work, supervised by Dr. Matt Rowe
at Appalachian State University in Boone North Carolina, is now being
replicated at a finer DNA level. What it indicates, however, is that
perhaps during the ice ages, the SE US had populations of this small owl
with the "mother lode" of genetic material. When the climate warmed, which
may have happened relatively rapidly, this species spread to its current
distribution, but that those populations lost a fraction of their genetic
material - and therefore potential for variability. Only the populations
that migrated "up" in the mountains here, (instead of north) appeared
retain maximum genetic potential. This may make our Southern Appalachian
populations of increased interest in issues of conservation for the whole
species.

This type of study has not yet been undertaken for some of the other bird
species that appear to be different or disjunct here: Red Crossbill, Brown
Creeper, Black-capped chickadee, Dark-eyed Junco, Yellow-bellied sapsucker,
and others. Some differ by plumage, or size, and/or in vocalizations.
When studies are eventually undertaken on these species, we may have a
better understanding of the value of our regional endemic and disjunct
species of birds. It is of double concern, then, that most of these
sub-species are very local in occurrence and seem to be declining when
compared to observations from a few decades ago.

In the meantime, the Inventory and Monitoring Branch requests that reliable
observations of these species in the Smokies be passed on to us, BUT we are
only interested in observations from breeding season, May-August, since in
winter our birds are joined by their relatives up north. Interested staff
and others may send observations with date, exact location, behavior,
observers, etc, to <Meryl_Rose@xxxxxxx> All observations will assist the
Park in cooperating with an inter-agency group that attempting to
accelerate data collection on these interesting birds.

Susan Hoyle
Knoxville, TN