[TN-Bird] Soddy Mtn. Hawk Watch 9-19

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:58:59 EDT

Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch
Hamilton Co.,TN.

I have often heard of morning "lift offs" at other hawk watch sites.  This
morning I think I saw one!  In the evening sometimes, at places such as Corpus
Christi, TX. Broad-winged hawks will land in trees as a resting place for the
night.  I am told, that the hawks land with such force or that so many hawks
will land on a limb, that they will literally break the limbs from the trees.
The mass exodus the next morning is referred to as a lift off.

Late Sunday evening at Soddy Mountain we were still seeing migrating hawks
like we've never experienced before in the fall.  I can't truly saw I saw hawks
landing in trees.  Actually, the one's we saw were still flying westwardly.
But, this morning I saw hawks rise up out of the valley.  For those of you who
know our lookout, picture the ridge to the North, now picture Broad-winged
hawks in front of "the dip" as well as behind the dip.  This morning I
experienced a kettle of 49 hawks lifting up both sides of the dip and circling
around
until they were almost out of sight before beginning to peel off a few at a
time!  The kettle started with 12 birds then built to 35 before finally
reaching t
he total of 49.

This morning the sky was a clear azure blue without a single cloud in sight.
It was already beginning to be hot and there wasn't a breath of wind
stirring. These are conditions not normally conducive to great flight
conditions for
seasoned hawk watchers. But, today I was excited, in the first 19 minutes, I
had already counted 84 Broad-wings. I also had began to doubt my ability to
continue counting all these hawks in all that blue sky?  Our count compiler,
Bill
Haley, came up for an early lunch break.  Was I ever relieved!  The only
problem was the hawks had stopped as suddenly as they had started.  Would he
believe me?  Sure he would as we saw another smaller kettle or two before he
had to
leave.  What a great past evening and morning!

This coming week is the week when we historically have our best numbers.  All
the other regular counters have to work this week.  Since I work at night I
will be arriving daily around 10:30 AM. I will have to leave around 2 PM.  This
week end someone should be there before 9:30 AM and we will stay as long as
the hawks are flying.  If you're in the area come on up for a visit!  You can
reach me by cell phone at 423-593-5455.  If you'd like directions or an update
give me a call.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN.