[tn-bird] Soddy Mountain Hawk Report 9/28/02

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 20:51:58 EDT

Today we had another record breaking day of 1000+ Broad-winged hawks.  Bill
Haley had to work so I tried to arrive early...for me that was 9:30 am.  Jim
Rowell and Harold Birch were already there.

As I exited my van hawks were overhead!  Already it looked as if we would
have another super day.  The three previous days were rain outs so I was
completely convinced today would be another good flight day.  So what if we
didn't have another one thousand day like the two previous days before bad
weather set in.  My mind was focused and I would accept what ever totals we
had at the end of this watch, but I couldn't stop thinking that we were less
than 150 Broad-wings away from our season high of 3625 set in 1995.

By 11:45 the pressure was off.  A kettle of 49 had passed over our heads and
the old record was now history.  We were participants writting a new chapter
for Soddy Mountain.  Jim and Harold kept spotting kettles even though the
cloud cover had changed from 40% to around 10%.  If you've ever spent much
time around a hawk watch you know what I'm talking about.  Blue skies is a
fate worse than a curse!  These guys amazed me all day as they kept pulling
specks out of this clear blue sky.  Most of the time when I finally got onto
the group they had seen a third of the birds had already peeled off and flown
away.

Totals for today:

OS - 4
SS - 7
CH - 1
RS - 1
BW - 1161
AK - 4
----------
1178

Year to Date  (unofficial total)

OS - 19
BE - 14
NH - 2
SS - 23
CH - 6
RS - 1
BW - 4633  ( new season record)
RT - 3
AK - 8
ML - 2
PG - 1

UA - 2
UB - 1
UE - 1

4716

Today's counters were: Jim Rowell, Harold Birch, Kyle Wagner, Gary Brunvull,
Woody Woodiel, Danny & Anita Gaddy, Cynthia Wilkerson and myself.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Tn.