[TN-Bird] Snowy Owl featured in Dec 2002 National Geographic, etc.

  • From: Leigh Loveday <lkloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:59:10 -0800 (PST)

While frequenting our local library this past frigid Saturday,
we came across the Dec 2002 National Geographic with the cover
feature Muscle and Magic- Snowy Owls.  The photos are just
incredible, and include young Snowy Owls. It brought back vivid
memories of mid March 2002 when we were some of the lucky souls
to see the Snowy Owl in Falmouth, KY.  We saw it preening in a
plowed field just 50 ft. away.  What a sight it was to behold.

My supervisor was at Cades Cove this past Sunday, and saw a
Barred Owl in broad daylight (around 4 pm). It flew to within 20
ft. of them, and perched on a 10 ft. high tree branch.

We braved the cold this past Friday evening to Cove Lake State
Park, but struck out on Nell Moore?s 2 bald eagles (we were
fortunate though to see the 1 bald eagle at Cove Lake last
year).  The low level water was pretty much frozen over with few
birds present, sans Killdeers and Mallards.  It was cool seeing
a Hermit Thrush 8 ft. away, and countless White-throated
sparrows, Juncos, Cardinals, etc. against the white blanket of
snow.  The yellow-bellied sapsuckers, with all the  woodpeckers
represented were also fun to see.

We spotted the Wood Thrush again this past week a few houses up
from ours in the North Knoxville area.

Robert and Leigh Loveday
Knoxville, TN