[TN-Bird] Sneak away birding day. Pace Point

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:33:01 EST

Jan. 28, 2004
Pace Point area
Benton and Henry Co. TN
I met Bud Johnson, Mike Todd, Don Manning, Virginia and Tommy Curtis at Paris
Landing to try for a few birds on some of their state and life lists and to
look over the huge concentration of gulls.

At 15 degrees in the morning, it was almost too cold for my sandals but once
we got to birding my nose was cold but my toes were toasty;o) We started at
Paris Landing and the gull flocks were intimidating. The problem being, there
are no places to get close to most of these flocks. At the marina we had tons
of
Ring-billed Gulls but no other prospects.

Eagle Creek and Port Road were disappointing in that everything was on the
Point Side. Britton Ford produced 4 goose species as the 2 Ross's are still
hanging in and we were treated with a small flock of Snow's and Blue's that
circled around warily because of all the hunting going on around the refuge's
edge.
There were 2 Greater White-fronted trying to hide in with the Canada Geese. We
ended the day with 21 species of waterfowl and gobs of Red-breasted
Mergansers plus Hooded and 3 Common Mergansers but we were never out of sight
or sound
of Goldeneye. There are still big flocks of Greater Scaup plus a lot of Lesser
Scaup. Also at Britton Ford, we watched 5 immature Bald Eagles taking turns
diving on a crippled duck, until one finally snatched it from the water and was
chased by the other 4. It dropped the bird and the bird was finally ferried
off by another bird with the other 4 in pursuit, to the quicker belongs the
spoils.

At Big Sandy, we stopped by the eagle roost at mid day and I spotted a single
dark bird and an adult Bald Eagle. Since one of the target birds was a Golden
Eagle I decided to scope out the dark bird. It turned into an adult Golden
and we enjoyed the bird as it flew and returned to the same perch numerous
times
and we saw it briefly at dusk as we watched 36 Bald Eagles come into the
roost. We got there a little late so no telling how many are actually using
this
roost but generally 60-70 birds is about normal.

At the Point, we had two groups of gulls which we estimated the total to be
about 5,000, all sitting, sleeping and preening. We had only the expected 3
species but with birds flying all around you could sit all day and watch the
turn
over. No telling what could be found.

On the Rocky Point side in the Big Sandy reach we had the adult and the
immature Red-throated Loons every time we stopped to look. These birds are
extremely hard to pick up but time scanning pays. We only found a single
Pacific, the
viewing could have been better but details for the ID were seen. It seems as
if most of the loons are out in the TN River channel as we saw far fewer in the
Big Sandy reach than I had counted on Sunday. There have to be still around
because they are all in extreme wing molt and most can't fly.

Pretty good birding with 3 of the 4 target birds found but I'll have to get
up there and shift through all those gulls again for the Black-headed. Don
Manning has birdied up there far longer than I have and he agreed he has never
seen such a concentration of gulls. I have seen them this concentrated in a
section before but never in every direction you look.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN