[TN-Bird] Sightings Report, 5 April 2013, Ensley Bottoms TOS Hike, Memphis, Shelby County

  • From: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 20:06:33 -0500

TOS Memphis Hike /Drive down to Ensley bottoms. At 715am it was raining. I got
a call from Stanley York of Clarkeville,Tn that he was at the plant. I got
there 5min later. David Blaylock got there about 728am , we started off At
736am on our rainey journey. Luckily it didn't pour on us. Light rain on and
off through the trip until 1100am when the sun started to come out more 45-49
degs entire time birding. Met Scott Somershoe down around Pit five as we were
looking for the Wht faced Ibis which was a no show today. Like Scott said
earlier it was strange not to see the Ol'coot down in the pits in the rain
looking for shorebirds during spring migration.
Good showing other wise for everything else though.  56 Total bird species on
the day. Wish we would have had time to do TO Fuller park for some forest birds
once the sun came out.

TN 2 Mem, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex, Shelby, US-TN
May 5, 2013 7:45 AM - 11:45 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     TOS Memphis Hike /Drive down to Ensley bottoms. At 715am it was
raining. I got a call from Stanley York that he was at the plant. I got there
5min later. David Blaylock got there about 728am , we started off At 736am on
our rainey journey. Luckily it didn't pour on us. Light rain on and off through
the trip until 1100am when the sun started to come out more 45-49 degs entire
time birding. Met Scott Somershoe down around Pit five as we were looking for
the Wht faced Ibis which was a no show today.
Good showing other wise for everything else though.
45 species
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  27
Canada Goose  35
Wood Duck  2
Mallard  7
Blue-winged Teal  75     75+ easily
Northern Shoveler  25     Mixed in with the BW Teal and BB Whistling Ducks in
the central area pits.
Great Egret  12
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American Coot  50     Way too spreadout today for a accurate count all over the
complex.
Semipalmated Plover  1
Killdeer  23
Black-necked Stilt  50     Spreadout all over 50+.
Spotted Sandpiper  1     After we broke up at 1130 I went back for one last run
through and found one on the bare islands in the cenral area pits.
Solitary Sandpiper  35     minimum 35 most likely more.
Greater Yellowlegs  2     Nice side by side views with lessers and Stilt
Sandpipers.
Lesser Yellowlegs  150     conservative count they were everywhere, but not as
great in numbers as last week.
Least Sandpiper  50     50+ mixed in with the other shorebirds mainly in the
grassy marsh areas.
Pectoral Sandpiper  17     Mixed in on pit 5 with everything else.
Stilt Sandpiper  32     After we broke up at 1130 I went back for one last run
through and found 26 feeding in the first little pond we checked today, Some
Lesser Yellowlegs and a Single Wilsons Phalarope.
Short-billed Dowitcher  6
Long-billed Dowitcher  3     Nice coloring on these three birds.
Wilson's Phalarope  1     Single bird seen when I went back for a last chance
look.
Mourning Dove  30
Chimney Swift  16
American Kestrel  3    Two of the three had fresh mouse kills that they flew
off with.
Peregrine Falcon  1     Chased all the shorebirds into a dither around 1030 and
then flew off.
Eastern Kingbird  9
American Crow  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  7
Cliff Swallow  1
Carolina Wren  1
American Robin  5
Northern Mockingbird  5
Brown Thrasher  2
European Starling  50
Savannah Sparrow  35     Once again all over the Levee's.
White-crowned Sparrow  11
Northern Cardinal  5
Dickcissel  25
Bobolink  1
Red-winged Blackbird  50
Eastern Meadowlark  7
Common Grackle  6
Brown-headed Cowbird  2

TN 2 Mem,TVA PONDS to Waste Water Outfall (BUNTING CORNER), Shelby, US-TN
May 5, 2013 7:15 AM - 8:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     This are was broken up into two time periods some done up at the
lakes early and some done at the end of the trip around 1115am. for about 20
min.
27 species
Canada Goose  3
Lesser Scaup  5
Great Egret  18     Nice flock flew by as we were waiting for others in the
drizzle.
Green Heron  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  1
Sora  1     Heard calling up at the TVA lakes from the other side of the tracks.
Killdeer  4
Mourning Dove  7
Chimney Swift  12
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1     Seen back in Bunting Corner.
White-eyed Vireo (White-eyed)  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  4
Barn Swallow  5
Cliff Swallow  1
American Robin  3
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  12
Cedar Waxwing  10
Yellow-breasted Chat  3     First we heard them then they showed themselves.
Northern Cardinal  3
Indigo Bunting  2
Dickcissel  5
Bobolink  2
Red-winged Blackbird  7
Eastern Meadowlark  5
Common Grackle  9

TN 2 Mem, Riverport Rd Ponds / Swamp, Shelby, US-TN
May 5, 2013 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     While exiting I stopped and lokked for whatever.
10 species
Canada Goose  8
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Mourning Dove  5
Common Nighthawk  1     This guy flew right over the vehicle heading towards
the trees of McKellar Lake shoreline.
Eastern Kingbird  1
White-eyed Vireo  2
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  4