[TN-Bird] Memphis - Connecticut Warbler, Western Kingbird

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 19:47:41 +0000

I'm in Memphis for a family weekend.  Managed to get out this morning for a
couple hours in the rain.  I was about 30 min late to meet the Memphis TOS
group at the Pits, but caught up with Jay Walko and the group and worked
through the shorebirds pretty well.  Most of the shorebirds recently reported
were still present (stilt sandpiper, pectoral sandpiper, long-billed
dowitchers, semipalmated sandpipers, semi-palm. plovers, and tons of solitary's
and lesser yellowlegs, among others).  White-faced Ibis was not found this
morning.  I heard a singing Connecticut Warbler in the woods on the levee over
the chatter of the yellowlegs.  Also heard singing in the tree line: Blackpoll
Warbler and Warbling Vireo.  Dozens of Savannah Sparrows still present, plus a
handful of White-crowned Sparrows.  A Peregrine Falcon flushed all the
shorebirds.  It was definitely weird to bird at the Pits in spring, in the
rain, and not have Jeff Wilson out there scoping birds from his pickup truck.

I found a Western Kingbird at a usual location at a power substation on
McLemore Rd between Kansas and Florida.  I didn't see any other western
kingbirds, scissor-tailed flycatchers, or painted buntings on a very quick run
through of Pres Island.

I think it is funny that I didn't even think to post about Black-bellied
Whistling Ducks being abundant at the Pits now.  They apparently aren't very
newsworthy from this location anymore in my mind.

Good cold rainy day birding,
Scott Somershoe