[TN-Bird] Sightings Report, 3 August 2013, Ensley Bottoms area, Memphis, Shelby Cty

  • From: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mike Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dick Preston <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 22:50:56 -0500

Total of 40 species seen down in and around Ensley Bottoms today.
It was good to meet up with Mike Todd for a while today down at the Pits, along
with Rick Shipkowski from Clarksville.

 Riverport Rd Ponds / Swamp, Shelby, US-TN
Aug 3, 2013 9:25 AM - 9:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
Comments:     On my way down to Ensley Bottoms I stopped by each of the
roadside sloughes to see whats in. Best bird was the Black-crowned Night Heron
on the big pond. Five Yellow-crowned Night Herons (2 adults & 3 Juv) were once
again hunting/feeding for crawfish in the flooded grassy flats under the high
power lines. Saw this same family of birds on the 21st of July in the same
spots, seems they all have their favorite hunting areas. One came up with a
Crawfish that was huge.
7 species
Wood Duck  8
Great Egret  8     Scattered along the slough line.
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  5
Turkey Vulture  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Cardinal  2
View this checklist online at

 Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex, Shelby, US-TN
Aug 3, 2013 9:40 AM - 11:50 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Caught up with Mike Todd & Rick Shipkowski(Clarksville) down on
the central levee. Light rain dribbling on and off. Temp fell from 85 to 77 in
the time I was there as the front passed through. Lots of shorebirds throughout
the complex a good 3500-4000 birds scattered, The two big lagoons #4 & #5 held
the largest concentrations. Black-bellied Whistling ducks are scattered through
out flying back and forth. Fulvous Whistling Duck is still hanging out in the
central area with the Blk bellies.
25 species
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  31     No ducklings yt this year seen.
Fulvous Whistling-Duck  1     Same bird seen all summer hanging out with the
Black-bellies in the central section.
Canada Goose  45
Mallard  25
Northern Bobwhite  3     Heard calling three different places in the levee
grass.
Great Blue Heron  1
Semipalmated Plover  2
Killdeer  100     scattered through out. one of the minor lagoons had 75+ on it.
Black-necked Stilt  80     80+ birds seen scattered not counting the young
chicks, not as many chicks being seen as in recent years. Alot of 1 chick
families this year.
Solitary Sandpiper  7
Lesser Yellowlegs  3
Semipalmated Sandpiper  50     50+ mixed in with the other peeps.
Western Sandpiper  10     Scattered through out.
Least Sandpiper  2500     Conservative count on my part most likely more. Lot
of peeps out there.
Pectoral Sandpiper  500     500+ scattered everywhere.
Mourning Dove  30
Chimney Swift  20
American Kestrel  1
Barn Swallow  12
Northern Mockingbird  1
European Starling  300     Low count they were everywhere.
Northern Cardinal  3
Indigo Bunting  4
Dickcissel  20
Eastern Meadowlark  2
View this checklist online at
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (http://ebird.org)TN 2
Mem,TVA PONDS to Waste Water Outfall (BUNTING CORNER), Shelby, US-TN

 TVA PONDS to Waste Water Outfall (BUNTING CORNER), Shelby, US-TN
Aug 3, 2013 11:50 AM - 12:25 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Checked out bunting corner and the the lakes.
18 species
Great Egret  2
Killdeer  3
Black-necked Stilt  1
Mourning Dove  6
Chimney Swift  7
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1     Bunting Corner area.
Belted Kingfisher  2
Eastern Kingbird  3
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  19     Sitting on the wires at the ponds.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1     Bunting corner.
Eastern Bluebird  2
American Robin  2
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  20
Yellow-breasted Chat  2     Bunting corner. They been here all summer chatting
away.
Dickcissel  5
Red-winged Blackbird  10
Eastern Meadowlark  2