[TN-Bird] Shrikes, Pipits, Vespers & more (Robertson Co.)

  • From: Tony Lance <tonylance@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 14:51:36 -0500

Birding in Robertson County the last week or so has been quite good. A
highlight for me has been a pair of shrikes in Cedar Hill that appear to be
nest building. I've seen them on and around one particular cedar tree four
separate times. Once I saw one fly into the cedar carrying something in its
beak, and another time I saw one perched on a fence opposite the cedar holding
a twig. Curiously though, on that latter occasion the bird manipulated the twig
for a while before hanging it on the barbed wire and flying away. I've never
seen one do that before.

On 3/13 I was joined by Jan Shaw and her mother, Mrs. Koehler. Horned Larks
were on our agenda and we got excellent looks at a number of them. Another
target for us was American Pipits. Despite looking far and wide we saw only
one, and briefly at that. Jan spotted two Red-headed Woodpeckers for us and
found one of the Cedar Hill shrikes perched on a fence deep afield. We also had
brief looks at a Vesper Sparrow and more satisfying looks at a number of
Savannah Sparrows. A Northern Harrier and a couple of Eurasian Collared Doves
rounded out our day.

A very brief outing yesterday resulted in five species of blackbird. I had
Red-winged, Rusty, Grackle and Cowbird in short order before topping the day
off with five Brewer's (one male, four females) alone in a field. All were seen
on Carter Rd. in Cedar Hill.

Durwood Edwards joined me today and we drove around both Cross Plains and Cedar
Hill. It turned out to be one of the most memorable outings I've had in a
while. Here are the highlights:

4 Loggerhead Shrikes (all at locations different that the Cedar Hill pair; one
was seen flying with what appeared to be a small snake in its beak)
80+ American Pipits
30+ Horned Larks
6 Vesper Sparrows (seen at three different locations; Fox, Field,
White-crowned, Swamp, Song & Savannah also seen)
2 Northern Harriers
20 Wilson's Snipe
3 Lesser Scaup
8 Blue-winged Teal