[TN-Bird] Shorebird Movement - 10 Species Ensley

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:04:02 EDT

July 10, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

The first trip through the pits today yielded 8 species of shorebirds and new
comers were added to the total numbers and species with each trip over the
morning. The second round tripled the number of Least Sandpipers and doubled
the
number of Lesser Yellowlegs plus added a new species, Spotted Sandpiper. The
third trip to TVA Lake was a surprise as the previous trips had produced
nothing and now there was a line up of 6 large birds, each standing on one leg
with
their heads tucked. The scope soon gave me great looks at 6 molting adult
Willets!!

While I watched, the Willets would occasionally preen, look up and then go
back to sleep. I knew they would be gone shortly and on my last visit just 30
minutes later TVA Lake was again void of shorebirds. I got a group shot and
some
individual birds in varying poses.

Total shorebird numbers for the day;

Killdeer, scattered evenly everywhere and where there was not a Killdeer
there was a Black-necked Stilt of some age group. Quite a few Black-necked
young
are now flying while others are just drying out from hatching and eggs are
still being attended. I heard my first young Black-necks "keeking" like
Long-billed Dowitchers.

Also enjoyed were; Willet - 6, Lesser Yellowleg - 23, Spotted Sandpiper - 1,
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 1, Western Sandpiper - 1, molting but still very
rufous around head, Least Sandpiper - 19 some very bright, Pectoral Sandpiper -
2,
Stilt Sandpiper - 1, still colorful but ratty looking.

From here on out the shorebird numbers will grow by leaps and bounds.

Now, I have to head to Lauderdale Co. for the line up of Herons and Egrets
going to roost at the rookeries.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA