[TN-Bird] Shelby Co, Sunday

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:02:37 EST

Nov. 27, 2005
Mud Island, Ensley Bottoms, Eagle lake
Shelby Co. TN

The Peregrine Falcon was present this AM at one of its perches on  Dacus Bar.
Today there was a single White Pelican standing in the water not too  far
away from the falcon. It is not often you can photograph those two species  in
one field of view. Nine Ring-billed Gulls and 5 Bonaparte's were sweeping the
area and occasionally setting down on the bar to rest.

At TVA Lake, Ensley Bottoms, there was a duck show with lots of Redhead and
Canvasbacks, a large contingent of Greater and Lesser Scaup, Canada Geese,
scattered Mallard, Bufflehead, Green-winged Teal, Gadwall, Shoveler and
Ring-necked Ducks with Pied-billed Grebes and Coots completing the water birds
list.

Two of the scaup sported nose ornaments, a female had a yellow bill tag and
a male had a faded orange bill tag. One adult Ring-billed Gull threw me a
curve,  it had an all BLACK BILL, I'll post photos of the female scaup and the
gull  later.

The Least Sandpiper numbers have hit their winter level with under 20 birds
found. Also found today, 3 Western Meadowlarks and 4 Vesper Sparrows. A  very
pale Red-tailed Hawk was the lightest I've ever seen that was not a  Krider's.

A late visit to Eagle Lake, to introduce a new birder to the area, produced
3 Bald Eagles, 2 adults and 1 immature. One of the adults stooped on a coot
until it wore the bird down and snatched it from the water, it  then retreated
to a perch where black feathers did fly in the  wind. That makes two coot
hunts by Bald Eagles witnessed this weekend.

We also flushed 4 Vesper Sparrows and watched at dusk as ducks streamed in
from all directions. We stayed till dark and the ducks came in larger and
larger flights. A great way to end a productive Thanksgiving Holiday.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135