[TN-Bird] Seven Islands banding

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, thepantherlounge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dwholmes@xxxxxxx, marka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jgiocomo@xxxxxxx, dbuehler@xxxxxxx, lbulluck@xxxxxxx, dtrently@xxxxxxx, gar2d2@xxxxxxxxxxx, karen.nolt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ellrose@xxxxxxxxxxx, keanator@xxxxxxxxxxx, spains@xxxxxxxxxxx, secristr@xxxxxxxxx, taylor.Rinehart@xxxxxxx, traceson@xxxxxxxxx, lccoolcats@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Allison.beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jama.rinehart@xxxxxxx, woodthrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rusty_trump@xxxxxxxxxxx, Rubythroat@xxxxxxx, hummngbyrd@xxxxxxx, fhound@xxxxxxx, fmoore@xxxxxxxxx, jaynerushin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, KarenTheodorou@xxxxxxx, birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Wilwarb@xxxxxxx, ngbatch@xxxxxxxxx, sdbivens@xxxxxxx, sweidnsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sbradfield@xxxxxxxxxxx, SBNuthatch@xxxxxxx, doreencubie@xxxxxxx, paul_super@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:37:09 -0700 (PDT)

July 5, 2005
Seven Islands Wildlife Refuge
Knox County
5: 40 am to 10:20 am

Hi folks,

Today was a big day for fledgling birds at Seven Islands.  We had 81
individuals of 20 species in the nets.  Both are records for this new
banding station.  Of the newly banded birds, 53 were hatch year and
14 were after hatch year.  These numbers were helped by the 15 hatch
year Song Sparrows, who were not accompanied by any adults.

We had 25 birds, including all the cowbirds, 2 mockers, 1 cardinal
and 1 towheee, in one net on the first net run. The net sagged at
least 2 feet under the weight!

We had our first breeding-condition American Goldfinch of the season:
 a male.  Meanwhile, most other species seem nearly done nesting.  We
didn't hear the Prothonatory Wablers for the first time.  Some adults
are beginning to molt (6 or 7 individuals today) and some birds, like
Red-winged Blackbirds and Brown-headed Cowbirds are starting to flock
up.  OUt of the refuge, I've also seen even commn Grackles starting
to flock up.

A woman from WBIR tv came along to take pictures and interview us.
Apparently her work will appear on the WBIR website sometime soon.

Our next banding date is next Tuesday, July 12.   We open nets at
5:40 am.

Banders are Jim Giocomo, Mark Armstrong and Charlie Muise.

Here are the numbers:

European Starling:  1 unbanded
Carolina Wren: 2 new, 1 recapture, 1 unbanded
Northern Bobwhite:  2 unbanded
Field Sparrow:   5 new
Eastern Phoebe: 2 new, 1 recapture
Brown-headed Cowbird:  11 new
Eastern Towhee:  2 new
Red-winged Blackbird:  6 new, 1 recapture
Northern Mockingbird:   5 new
Yellow-breasted Chat:   4 new
Northern Cardinal:  2 new
Song Sparrow:  15 new, 4 recaptures
Indigo Bunting:  4 new (all adults, unlike other species)
House Finch:  3 new
Orchard Oriole:  1 recapture
Brown Thrasher:  1 recapture
Common Yellowthroat:  3 new
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher:  1 new
American Goldfinch:  2 new, 1 unbanded
Ruby-throated Hummingbird:  1 unbanded

Charlie Muise, Naturalist in
Great Smoky Mountains National Park

"To the dull mind all nature is leaden.  To the illuminated mind
the whole world sparkles with light."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson