[TN-Bird] Sequatchie Valley to Nashville

  • From: BEAMERWITT@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 00:43:00 EST

I had planned to try for 3 birds today in Sequatchie Valley.  At the Swafford
Pond on Upper East Valley Road, the Ross's Goose was a no show but 2 Snow
Geese were present.  The dark phase Rough-legged Hawk was perched in a copse of
trees on Nine Mile Road on the north side just past the creek crossing - I
suspect this is his usual spot.  There was a nice group of Brewer's Blackbirds
at
the Cookie Jar Cafe, at the Johnson Farms - the birds were perched in the
trees below the restaurant just in back of the farmhouse.  Since I had dipped
on
the goose,  I skipped an intended stop at Nickajack and drove on north to
Shelby Park Lake in Nashville where that Ross's Goose was more cooperative.  At
dusk, a try for Short-eared Owl in the northern part of Shelby Bottoms yielded
one bird which flew up at 5:30 PM.  It didn't stick around and neither did I as
it was quite cold by then.  The birds must be roosting in the field there but
hunting in another area.
Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn