[TN-Bird] Screech owl

  • From: Kings4birds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 12:53:16 EDT

The last five nights there's been a screech owl calling from my next-door
neightbor's front yard, right here in suburban east Memphis. We live just
inside
the 240 loop, near Memorial Park Cemetery and not far from Shelby Farms. Of
course it's been too dark to see the bird where it has been sitting, I'd guess
25 feet or so up in a willow oak, one of three trees in a typical yard setting.
The bird flushed last night when I was standing under it trying to get a
better idea where to look with daylight. Do they call like this from near a
roost
hole, or from a different area? I've never heard a screech owl here before, in
our 25 years in residence...Is this unusual? Can anyone give me some info on
sreech owl habits?
Gail King
East Memphis, Shelby County