[TN-Bird] Scissor-tailed Flycatchers & Dickcissels in Bledsoe County, Jun 24, 2011

  • From: "LeGrand family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:24:42 -0500

Steve Stedman and I birded in the Sequatchie Valley in Bledsoe County on
Friday morning, June 24, mainly looking for Scissor-tailed Flycatchers. They
were there, but harder to see than usual, except for a female building a
nest on the phone pole at the corner of East Valley Road and Akins Rd. near
Swafford Pond. It's been a good season for Dickcissels in eastern TN, and
the 15 we found is our high count in the valley.

Here is our list that Steve entered in eBird.

Bledsoe County, Bledsoe, US-TN
Jun 24, 2011 6:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
80.0 mile(s)
Comments:  Focused on the known breeding locations of STFLs in the
Sequatchie Valley part of Bledsoe County.
72 species

Canada Goose  70
Wood Duck  7     also 8 young
Mallard  1     also 3 young at Swafford Pond
Northern Bobwhite  10
Double-crested Cormorant  1     Immature at Swafford Pond
Great Blue Heron  5
Green Heron  1
Black Vulture  5
Turkey Vulture  2
Cooper's Hawk  4
Red-tailed Hawk  2
American Kestrel  4
Killdeer  5
Rock Pigeon  4
Eurasian Collared-Dove  3
Mourning Dove  30
Yellow-billed Cuckoo  1
Chimney Swift  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  3
Eastern Wood-Pewee  4
Eastern Phoebe  5
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
Eastern Kingbird  8
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  7     Found at four sites: Original site on
Ninemile Crossroad (juvenile); Brushy Cemetery Rd. (adult male, adult
female, unknown age individual, probably juvenile); Slaughterhouse Rd.
(adult female with fledgling); and Akins Rd. near Swafford Pond (adult
female refurbishing or building nest on crossbeam of power pole).
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  3
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  20