[TN-Bird] Saw-whets and other owls

  • From: JGIOCOMO@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:40:20 EST

Hello all,
We opened up our nets again (in Blount County, south of Maryville) this week
because the avian ecology class from UT-Knoxville was going to visit our
banding station as part of their class.  Over the past three nights we
recaptured
one Northern Saw-whet which we originally captured 25 November 2003, and then
we caught another un-banded bird bringing our total to 27 (this is the first
saw-whet for 2004 in the US, as far as we can tell).  Of course, these birds
were caught after the class left.

In the area between our banding site and Kyker Bottoms  the class was able to
find Eastern Screech, Barred, and Great-horned Owls (not all in the same
night).

Jim Giocomo
Knoxville, TN