[TN-Bird] Pickwick Thayer's Gull - Yes!

  • From: BEAMERWITT@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:29:43 EST

After reading all the postings re the gulls seen at Pickwick recently by Jeff
Wilson et al,  I decided to try my luck today.  I had tried there previously
at least twice for the Thayer's and California as well.  The weather was great
for January, sun all day and moderate temperatures.  I started at the gull
roost west of the Tn River off US 64 at about 9 AM.  The water was mostly
frozen
and there were only about 50 gulls present, one first year Herring with all
the Ring-billeds  and a few Bonaparte's.  I made my first try for the LeConte's
Sparrow seen just west but had no luck - did scare up a wintering House Wren.
 After another look at the gull roost, I headed south to Pickwick Dam.  Since
9/11 (I guess) there is even less access to the dam than in the past, and few
gulls were about.  At the state park, an E Screech Owl tape lured in a large
flock which included several Pine Siskins.   A search of Savannah Bottoms was
mostly unsuccessful, and I headed back to the gull roost at about 1:30PM.  The
ice had melted and there were now several hundred gulls present.  No Herrings
with all the RBs but the dark phase Thayer's was now present and seen very
well both on the water and in flight - a really spiffy bird.  Another try for
Leconte's Sparrow failed and at about 3 PM the Thayer's had disappeared as did
 - thanks Jeff
Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn