[TN-Bird] Sat and Sun Sage Thrasher Field Trips-Knox County

  • From: TennWren@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 12:28:16 EST

Upcoming field trips to look for Sage Thrasher - Knox County

Two field trips to look for the Sage Thrasher are scheduled for this weekend.

Saturday, Nov. 15 at 12:30 PM
             Meet Marcia Davis and Susan Hoyle at 12:30 at the AmSouth Bank
(Bearden Branch) parking lot at 6100 Kingston Pike at the intersection of
Northshore Dr. and Kingston Pike.  From I-40 take the Papermill Rd exit (exit
383)
and take Northshore Dr. over to the first light at Kingston Pike.  Cross
Kingston Pike and turn right into the bank parking lot.  We will caravan and
carpool from here.

ALERT FOR SATURDAY TRIP! We are starting an hour later on Saturday because
there is a Tennessee home football game on Saturday. Kick-off  time is at 12:30
PM. Most of the heavy football traffic usually lets up in the hour before the
game starts.

ALLOW EXTRA DRIVING TIME!  The traffic will be very heavy coming into
Knoxville Saturday morning. Knoxville's Interstates are perpetually under
construction. Motel rooms might be scarce because of the game.

Sunday, Nov. 16  at 11:30 AM
          Meet Jean Alexander, David Johnson, Marcia Davis or Chris Welsh at
11:30  at the same location.

We will keep you posted on the bird and future arrangements to see it if it
sticks around.  The thrasher is on private property and there is no road access
to this property.  Be prepared to walk at least a mile round trip on a level
mowed path. Wear briar-proof pants. A pair of leather chaps might be
appropriate to look for a Sage Thrasher in the blackberries instead of in
sagebrush.
The bird seems to stay put in one place for long periods and has been a little
difficult to locate immediately.

Marcia Davis
Knoxville, TN

.