[TN-Bird] Juvenile Cooper's, yb-sapsucker, titmice, etc.

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:44:17 EST

Greetings,

Sorry this is late, but I have been to busy to post.

While I was having lunch on Tuesday, I was marveling at the active jumble of
juncos that were feeding on the floor of my deck just outside the French doors
of my dining room.  All of a sudden, they all just went "whoosh" in every
direction disappearing into all hiding corners.  A juvenile Cooper's hawk had
flown over and landed on a tree branch right at my eye level about 45 feet from
where I was sitting.  It perched with its back to me, and its long, barred and
rounded tail was hanging down in full view below.  It was a classic first year
bird.  After about two minutes, the bird swooped below to the ground,
apparently missed whatever prey it was after, then flew further into my
backyard
where it looked to have perched in a tree out of my view.  It must have left
rather quickly as the juncos were soon back to their business of feeding
hungrily
on the floor of my deck.  One white-throated sparrow joined the juncos before I
finished my lunch and went back to work on some volunteer work I am doing for
one of the organizations to which I belong.

Also, last Sunday, I had a gorgeous male yellow-bellied sapsucker working on
the holly bush/tree (4" diameter twin trunks) outside my bedroom window.  He
was low on the holly, so I could stand at my window and look directly down on
the top of his head then at him broadside after he worked his way up the tree
digging under the bark for hidden goodies.  After about 10 minutes of diligent
searching on the holly, he flew a few feet away to the maple tree in my front
yard where he proceeded to "work" it for "dessert"(?).  Along with the
sapsucker, there were three cardinals and a white-throated sparrow in and/or
under
the holly when my observation began.  A pair of cardinals nested in it this
past
summer, and cardinals frequent it often, as do blue jays, grackles (in
season), mockingbirds and an occasional screech owl in addition to the yb-sap.

That tough tufted titmouse that I reported dominating the feeder DOES appear
to have been feeding a new brood which have now been brought to the feeder.  I
had a sudden influx of apparent young titmice later in the week following the
adult's bossy behavior at the tube feeder which continued for a couple of
days after my original report.

Dee Thompson
(West) Nashville, TN  (Charlotte Park about 3/10 miles east of the old
Cleece's Ferry)