[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 95

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:33:15 -0600

Willie doesn't care if it is pouring rain and dark on a Monday morning
and he's in the middle of a molt, he still came to the feeder before
6:00 a.m. and checked to see if it has his sugar water.  Once that was
verified he waited about five more minutes to come back for more rapid
drinks and then landed and drank deeply.  He just looks so dishevelled
that it makes us feel sad even though we know soon he'll be gorgeous
again when the molting is complete.  His gorget appears to be turning
the red/purple color and he has lots of green on his head and part way
down his back.  We just hope he stays around long enough to see the
transition completed.  Today means he has been with us the entire months
of December, January and February plus those four days in November.  Our
initial hope was he'd be here a couple of days for others to see him.
Now we wish he'd become a permanent resident of Smithville, Tennessee
and maybe marry a female Ruby-throated this spring and raise a family of
little rubyrufouses.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County