[TN-Bird] Fort Morgan, Alabama Report

  • From: RubyThroat@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:44:46 EST

Fellow Tennessee Birders

This past weekend, the crew of banders of The Hummer/Bird Study  Group and
friend Harry Anderson had a cleanup session at our banding sites  at Fort
Morgan.  With a full crew, the cleanup went off without a  hitch.  The joint is
lookin' fine guys, so come on down!

We saw no snakes at all this time.  Dead or hiding out?  There  was no
problem with mosquitos or no-see-'ums during our work sessions.   This was a
welcome
surprise.  Local breeding birds were on the Fort, but  seemed in reduced
numbers.

Best bird seen during the cleanup was an immature Peregrine Falcon perched
on the roadside just 30 yards east (north side of the road in the  dunes) of
the entrance gate in the middle of the road.  Also seen were  several Gray
catbirds, lone White-eyed vireo, Common ground-dove, Blue-gray  gnatcatcher,
Yellow-throated warbler, unidentified  hummingbird, White-throated sparrow and
lots
of American kestrels.   Gulls and terns were scarce.  Lingering Eastern
Meadowlarks were along the  runway.

Brief meetings with Fort officials revealed nothing new to report on the
Dauphin Island/Fort Morgan ferry situation.  It seems apparent that the  ferry
will not be operational until well into the future.  Cleanup  activities by the
Fort Staff continues and these guys have the place looking  good considering
the mess that was there after Hurricane Ivan.

Of note is the ongoing investigation of the condition of the  batteries.
Officials have cleaned and removed the vegetation from the  top of the battery
directly across from the Stable Area.  This is the first  step in determining
the approach that will be used by the  Alabama Historical Commission
contractors
to stabilize, repair and  preserve these special structures.  As birders and
banders, we can  expect this work to continue as funding permits over the next
several  years.

I do not have a fee schedule for admission to the Fort.  I hope to  have that
soon.  One thing seems apparent with the ferry no longer running,  there will
be a fee charged for entry onto the Fort property.  I do  not know the hours
that the "guard shack" station in the middle of the highway  will be attended.
 For those of you that visit the Fort regularly, you may  wish to do what we
do as banders and birders.  We purchase the annual  pass for our crew.  You
can inquire at the gate for details.

The birds will come as they have always done.  I hope to see many  of you at
this very special stopover site as we document the travels of these  long
distance travelers.   Bless All.

Bob and Martha Sargent  and Crew.