[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 54

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 06:40:13 -0600

He stayed at the feeder yesterday afternoon later than any other day so
far - 4:58 p.m. - yet he came earlier this morning at 6:24 a.m.  The
temperature was in the single digits here last night so he must have
expended a tremendous amount of energy keeping warm.  Even though Bob
Sargeant has repeatedly told us how hearty these little rufous hummers
are, we are still always concerned for him when it gets this cold and
are so thankful when he zips out of the darkness into the light
surrounding the feeder.

We are torn between wanting him to stay because we enjoy seeing him so
much and wishing we could catch him and put him in our car and drive him
back to Arizona (wonder how many laws there would be against doing
that?).  Bob says he will probably leave on his own by the end of this
month so if you want to see him, you might need to do so soon.  For the
last couple of days he has been sitting in the bare bush to the left of
the feeder and has been more visible than ever.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County
615-215-1254