[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'TN-Bird Post'" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 09:00:26 -0600

Our little mature male Rufous has the wisdom to know what it takes to
survive this cold.  He ate later yesterday than at any time since he arrived
here on October 30th; one time we counted as he took 25 deep drinks and
several times before going to roost he sat under the heat lamp and drank
15-20 times.  We wondered how his little belly could hold that much but
we're sure he needed it when the temperature fell to 20 degrees here last
night.  He appeared a bit earlier than normal this morning and has continued
to drink for long periods of time.  No one has visited us to see him this
week but the invitation is still open; call us at 615-215-1254 so we can be
sure to be home.

Our first Purple Finch of the season came to the open sunflower feeder this
morning; at one moment we had Purple, House, and Goldfinch in the feeder at
the same time.  For almost two weeks a red Fox Sparrow has been feeding on
the seed around one of the brush piles.  Looks like it's going to be a good
winter for birds from the north coming down.

Tommy and Virginia Curtis

Smithville, TN

DeKalb County