[TN-Bird] Re: Rufous Hummingbird

  • From: Margot Pantalone <mpantalo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:03:18 -0500

Ann Tallent of Maryville asked about others with rufous hummers in their yards.

I had a female AHY rufous at my home from November through Jan. 2.
The bird was one that Chris Sloan identified and banded in December.
A cold front came through on Jan. 3 or thereabouts, and the bird
disappeared with it. Bob Sargent assured me the bird could withstand
the cold, easily so. He said he thought the bird may have chosen to
push south with, or ahead of, the front.

I very much hope the bird returns this year, despite the trouble I
went through using a flood light to prevent the nectar from freezing!
I'm looking forward to this year's ruby throats and for chance visits
by rufouses, as well.

By the way, I have a colleague from Louisiana who tells me that his
mother keeps 15 or more hummingbird feeders on her front porch. She
fills them daily and has so many birds that all the feeders are empty
within 30 minutes of filling. He said it's a swarm of birds and
almost scary at that. Perhaps it's as they prepare to migrate south.

Margot Pantalone
Knoxville, TN