[TN-Bird] Ruddy Ground Dove Continues in MS- New Photos

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, albirds@xxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gsknight@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:54:09 EST

Dec. 19, 2004
Shelby Co. TN
Bolivar Co. MS

Mike Todd and I took a quick look around Ensley Bottoms before going south
for the Ground-Dove. The wind was really blowing and extremely cold. Here along
with the Satterfields were saw the 2 Surf Scoters, 2 Western Sandpipers, 3
Sanderling and Dunlin plus big numbers of Least Sandpipers and Killdeer.

We arrived at the Ruddy Ground-Dove site at noon and started a slow search
from the road. At 12:10 Mike said "that's not a bird" but sure enough there the
bird was hunkered in the grass at the side of the road, out of the wind in
full sunlight. The bird eventually flew out in the field and we lost it. We
decided to look through the rice fields and were rewarded with over 2,000
Long-billed Dowitchers and good numbers of Least, Dunlin and Yellowlegs.

An hour later we went back by the field and located the bird feeding, took a
few more photos, needless to say we left as two very happy birders.

TRY:    http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/gallery/ruddygrounddove

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA