[TN-Bird] Rough wing fledglings seen

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 17:49:33 EDT

Good Afternoon,
When I went to buy the Sunday paper this morning around 6:30 AM, I saw a
small flock of rough winged swallows flying around the loading dock area of the
H.
G. Hill store at the corner of Charlotte Pike and Annex Avenue (formerly
another confusing spur of Old Hickory Blvd.) in the Charlotte Park area of West
Nashville  One bird, obviously a youngster, lit on a power line just to my left
where it teetered and tottered back and forth in an effort to keep its
balance.  Other young and the adults were flying around back there and out over
the
vacant field behind the store alongside Annex Avenue.  They seemed to be
favoring the trailer (as in 18-wheeler when coupled with its tractor) that
stays
there for long periods into which Hills apparently puts their old boxes to be
hauled away when the trailer is full.  The roughies probably nested there.

Some of you may recall that I found roughies nesting inside the holes on the
underside of the Goodwill trailer that used to be permanently parked over
behind Nashville Tech on White Bridge Road several years ago.  I even have
pictures of those little babies after they had just fledged and were on the
ground
begging the parents for food.

It appears that roughies like to nest in these "trailer holes" which are the
ones that fit over the connections on the tractor which is part of their "hook
up."  I do not know what they are called.  If anyone else out there knows,
how about clueing me in so that I don't seem quite so ignorant?

Cheers, prayers & grand birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN