[TN-Bird] Roan Mountain/Hampton Creek Cove

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 00:57:20 EDT

On Saturday, June 11, Gilbert Derouen, Reece Jamerson and Bryan Stevens
birded from 8:30-1 p.m. on Roan Mountain and Hampton Creek Cove.
We found 45 species, including 29 species at Hampton Creek Cove. When we
arrived at Hampton Creek Cove, we found Mike Poe birding there as well as some
birders from Nashville.

Good birds:
Barred Owl, perched, in tree at the pulloff near Twin Springs Recreation Area
where Golden-winged Warblers are sometimes found

Warblers: Common Yellowthroat, American Redstart, Chestnut-sided Warbler,
Yellow Warbler, Hooded Warbler and 3-4 Golden-winged Warblers (all at Hampton
Creek Cove, at least 2 males, perhaps 3, as well as a female)

Northern Bobwhite (calling) at Hampton Creek Cove.

Pine Siskins (at feeders at cabins at Rustic Cabin Road and at Carver's Gap)

Northern Raven (5 birds, soaring and calling, over Hampton Creek Cove)

Flycatchers- Least, Willow (2-3 at Hampton Creek Cove) and Eastern Phoebe

Other good birds: Field Sparrows and Song Sparrows, feeding fledglings, as
well as Brown Thrashers, Gray Catbirds, Scarlet Tanagers, Indigo Buntings,
Veery
(near Twin Springs), Ruby-throated Hummingbird and immature Red-tailed Hawk.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN