[TN-Bird] Ross's Goose at Woods Reservoir, other miscellaneous sightings

  • From: Jerry Ingles <jeingles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:43:11 -0600 (CST)

Ruth Luckado and I had excellent views of an adult Ross's Goose near the UT
Space Insitute today.  Patience was rewarded by the sleeping bird as it
finally decided to untuck its head, leave the bank and its Mallard company
(Canadas were close by), and swim northwesterly in the direction of (but
distant from)  Rowland Creek. Our observation post was across the slough on
the Space Institute penninsula on the opposite side from Mullican Beach,
where parking is available near the observation deck. THE SPEED LIMIT IN
THE SPACE INSTITUTE IS 15 MPH. (This peninsula juts nearly straight south
from the Space Intstitute at B-4, p. 22 in DeLorme (35.3  degrees N and
86.08 degrees W).

The goose was first observed in the slough near the house at the corner of
Reservoir road and the road which crosses the dam (now closed at the dam),
where it was in the company of Canada geese, but it and some of the Canadas
then swam around the point.

And,  no I did not confuse one of the domestic white geese that frequent
that slough near the house for this bird.

The size of the mallards, this snowy white bird (with tiny portions of the
black wing tips occasionally visible) has a nearly perfectly round head
with a tiny triangular bill.

I also had a L. Shrike (exasperatingly scarce in Franklin County this
season) at the northeastern corner of the intersection of US 64 and Georgia
Crossing road and Eurasan Collared-Collared Dove (continuing to spread
locally) at the intersection of Georgia Crossing and Arnold Farm Road. (pp.
23 and 24 DeLorme, C4).