[TN-Bird] Results TOS sparrow trip to Brainerd Levee and Standifer Gap Marsh

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dusty wright" <dlwright_19@xxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 08:27:40 -0400

Fourteen birders attended the Chattanooga TOS Sparrow fieldtrip on
Sunday October 28.  It began at the Brainerd Levee where the water was
higher than usual for this late in October so many of my favorite spots
where flooded.  We did walk the edges of the marsh and came up with one
Sora , a couple Wilsons Snipe, bad looks at a Lincoln's Sparrow as well
as numerous Song, Swamp and Savannah Sparrows.  The trip then headed to
Standifer gap Marsh where a flock a American Pipits was seen before the
whole group arrived.  A MARSH WREN was seen and heard at the marsh as
well as a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow, and another Sora was flushed.
The highlight of Standifer Gap was a high flying PEREGRINE FALCON
torturing a tight flock of terrified European Starlings.  We picked up
Chipping Sparrow, Field  and White-throated Sparrows to give us a total
of seven sparrow species.

Kevin Calhoon

Assistant Curator of Forests

Tennessee Aquarium