[TN-Bird] Report: KTOS Field Trip to Norris Dam Songbird Trail

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:37:27 -0400

On Saturday, October 18, the KTOS field trip to the Norris Dam Songbird Trail
in Anderson County was attended by 8 members.  The trip got off to an
auspicious start when two adult Bald Eagles were seen at Norris Dam around 8:30
a.m.  The eagles put on a nice show for us.  At one point both were perched in
the same tree on the far side of the river.  One landed on the shore and was
observed eating a fish.  They flew off upriver before everyone arrived but the
5 earlybirds got to witness the show.  We then drove to the parking lot at the
head of the Songbird Trail and walked from there to the Weir Dam, about 1.4
miles.  Yellow-rumped warblers were abundant in several locations as were Cedar
Waxwings and American Gold Finches.  A vireo teased us with a slow, melodious
song (possibly a Blue Headed?) but we could not get a visual on it.  A female
Red-Winged Blackbird was seen in the tall grass; I don't believe I've seen this
species at Norris before.  In all we had 38 species... 35 on the Songbird Trail
plus 3 seen only at the visitor center at the dam itself (Bald Eagle; Rock
Pigeon and Common Grackle - two large flocks of the grackles flew over just
after Ginger Goolsby and I arrived, possibly 100 in each flock; some kept going
and some landed in the trees next to the river).  The walk ended around noon;
Ginger and I took a short walk on the trail at the base of the river bank after
everyone else had departed and got the last species of the day from there, a
Turkey Vulture spotted by Ginger. A complete list follows:

Canada Goose
Mallard     Great Blue Heron    Turkey Vulture     Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk Killdeer
Rock PigeonBelted Kingfisher
Red-bellied Woodpecker     Yellow-bellied Sapsucker    Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker     Northern Flicker     Eastern Phoebe
Vireo sp.     Blue Jay
American Crow     Carolina Chickadee     White-breasted Nuthatch     Carolina
Wren     Ruby-crowned Kinglet     Eastern Bluebird     Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird     Brown Thrasher     Cedar Waxwing     Yellow-rumped
Warbler     Palm Warbler     Eastern TowheeChipping Sparrow     Field Sparrow
  Song Sparrow    Northern Cardinal
Common GrackleRed-winged Blackbird     House Finch     American Goldfinch

Carole Gobert, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee

                       MAP RESOURCES