[TN-Bird] Re: Red Knot Shelby County

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 18:47:35 -0700

Many thanks to both Dick and Jay for getting word out about this beauty this
afternoon; Jay called me while I was still piddling around taking shorebird
photos at Ensley, and I was able to enjoy some extremely close encounters with
the gorgeous juvenile Red Knot he reported. When I first arrived at the North
Treatment Plant, 3 juvenile Sanderlings and 3 juvenile Ruddy Turnstones greeted
me, throw in the Red Knot that was hanging out on the other side of the pit,
and it was like being on the Atlantic Coast. This was my first visit to the
North Plant in several years, I had forgotten how good it could be. We had 7
species of shorebird in the same camera frame for a while here!

I had spent several hours at Ensley, and had the pleasure of spending a lot of
that with Chloe and Nolan Walker and their Dad. Briefly ran into Jay Walko  and
Rob Harbin as well. Big change in conditions of the Pits since my last visit,
with areas that had been dry now filled with water, and the big pit which had
been flooded with extensive flats. Leasts were by far the most abundant, easily
3500-4000 birds present, handful of Westerns and maybe 40 Semi's; good numbers
of Pectoral as well with many juvies coming thru now. Highlights were a
juvenile American Golden-Plover feeding in the big pit, but which vanished and
never was refound. A juvenile Wilson's Phalarope and basic Long-billed
Dowitcher were the other highlights. Took forever to finally locate a juvenile
Baird's. Three Black Terns still hanging around in the big pit.

Between both Treatment plants, 19 species of shorebirds, not a bad day at all.
Needed a day to unwind a bit, and this was a fine one.I stopped by Oneal Lake
(Hatchie NWR)  on the way down, and no sign of the Tricolored Heron(s). The
Walkers had the same luck. Still good numbers of Little Blues and Great Egrets,
as well as a Snowy. Had a nice little warbler flock here, which included an
adult male Golden-winged. Some of the fields here look promising for sparrows
if they haven't been cut in a few more weeks.

Will post a number of photos over next day or two, some really cooperative
birds today for a change.

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 8:03 PM, "dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

September 13, 2014
1:00 PM
Maynard Stiles North Treatment Plant

Juvenile Red Knot first reported by Terry Witt on September first present
here today. First uncovered pit on river side. Allowed close approach. Other
shorebirds present:

Semipalmated Plover  (12)
Killdeer  (12)
Solitary Sandpiper  (5)
Greater Yellowlegs  (1)
Lesser Yellowlegs  (13)
Stilt Sandpiper  (12)
Sanderling  (2) both juveniles
Least Sandpiper  (154)
Pectoral Sandpiper  (19)
Semipalmated Sandpiper  (11)
Western Sandpiper  (3)

Later in the afternoon, Jay Walko reported three Ruddy Turnstones present,
as well as the knot.

Note to visiting birders: management requests you enter office and go to
computer room. Sign birder’s log book. Many times, no one is present, but doors
are unlocked.

Dick Preston
Munford, TN
Tipton County